Tuesday, June 16, 2009

C.P.U Motivation Workshop



The "Competence.Progressive.Upskilling" (aka C.P.U) motivation workshop is just around the corner. The idea of having this event was initiated by my boss which has placed the priority on the new students from our department.

It was quite a surprise to me when I had been told about this event. Indeed, there are plenty of motivation workshops out there to help students. However, none of those I have ever heard was actually organized by a university department. Though the intention is undoubtedly good, what about the outcomes? Would they really appreciate the workshop? Would they really beneficial from the workshop? If yes, to what extents?

Frankly speaking, I am not quite really looking at the brighter side of the outcomes if the students do not change their spoon-feed attitude. They are too passive and expecting to get A-Z from lecturers and never have thought the role an undergraduate supposed to be. Indeed, you may argue that they are paying higher tuition fee if compared to the local universities and should be expecting something in return. Yes, you are right, and you are wrong! Students should not be expecting to get everything from their lecturers, instead, they should take the initiative to explore the new knowledge. The role of a lecturer is nothing but a navigator, to guide the students heading to right directions. University serves as a very good platform for students to share their ideas, to exchange their knowledge and train their personalities. However, after a few months since I been here, I found that only a very limited number of students that could fill up the gap when I taught them only A & Z. They are indeed very good students and I could perceive they have been practicing positive attitudes in their learning process. "We are paying ... " - I know you are paying, does that mean we should pamper you well? To tell you when to study? What to study? How to study? You would never ever want to argue upon this point right in front of me as I used to be a student from a private university and was paying higher tuition fee than yours. Therefore, the reason "we are paying" sounds bad to me and does not make sense at all.

Students, take my advises, change your learning attitude, be dared to explore new knowledge, be dared to share your ideas among friends, behave yourself as a true undergraduate. We are never giving up you, if you are not giving up yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment