Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Deeper Thought of A Typing Master Program

Finally, I have come out something which is quite different from the assignments usually given to the students. NO ticket reservation system, NO ATM system, NO library management system, NO hotel management system, NO registration system, NO calculator ... and NO ...

I had planned to give 3 assignments to my students as part of their assessments. The first two assignments are intentionally to warm them up which contribute only 5% to the total coursework mark. The first two assignments are actually quite related to each other and are not that difficult. The assignment 1 was due two weeks ago and the due date for assignment 2 is just around the corner. However, somehow I found out some of them are requesting helps from their seniors to write the programs for them. GREAT, aren't them? No worry, I can afford to give them the 5% for the first two assignments, but, please try to think further, would they able to score in the final if they do not even able to come out the programs as simple as the first two assignments given to them. Perhaps they should stay back with their juniors to brush up the fundamental programming techniques.

Despite the aforementioned situations, I believe they have got themselves warmed up (or forced to be warming up) and ready to enter the battle mode for the third assignment. I assure this time their seniors would not show their sympathies anymore as I have shown to them the demo program I done for the assignment 3. I have no doubt on their (seniors) capabilities as they used to be my students in last semester and three of them are 4 flat students. They have their own businesses (assignments) to take care of and would not have time to prove they are merciful.

Typing Master (Demo program)

In this assignment, I require them to form a group of maximum 3 members. There has no much instructions given to them but only the title and a few basic requirements like computing the error rate, accuracy, typing speed and etc. They have been given the room to design how the program should like and implement based on their design. Although the program seems like tough for them as I found out the students here have never done even a small project/system throughout their entire lifespan in university except for the final year project. What a surprise to me when I got to know about this. Therefore, I have decided to train my students to pick up the analytical skills by giving least specification and have them analyzed what would be required for the system during the process they designing the solution. The assignment 3 may cause them hectic, but I believe they would enjoy the sweetness of their fruitful works at the end of this semester. On top of that, they would have at least something to show to the companies during the interviews they might attend in the future and feel proud to express what they have done past few years in their university life.

Students, I would really like to see you all excel. Show others your capabilities; Disprove the claim by Jobstreet.com the undergraduates nowadays have been lacking of analytical skills; Prove yourself and show them you are BOLEH!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment